Monday, May 10, 2010

Tres Leches

This weekend we had dinner with Clint's cousin, Meagen and her husband, Brian.  She made the dinner, which was a delicious mexican casserole with rice and beans.  Soooo yummy.  I was in charge of the dessert so I made a Tres Leches cake.  This is my favorite dessert from Papasitos restaurants.  I have tried it at several other places but have never found one that was quite as good.  I tried to recreate the Papsitos version and I didn't get it quite right.  Maybe with a little tweaking I can get it right next time. It wasn't a bad cake, just not quite what I was aiming for.  I thought I would share the recipe anyway because it was still pretty tasty and super easy to make.



I cheated a little and used a box cake mix.  Some recipes I found online called for a type of pound cake but I thought I wanted something a little lighter.  So I just made and cooked the cake according to the directions on the box.


When it was done I let it cool for about 5 minutes and then I turned it into another pan that was just a little bigger.  In my mind it seemed like the bottom of the cake would be softer and absorb the liquid better.  Then I poked holes in it with a fork.


While the cake was cooling I mixed a cup of the whipping cream, a cup of the evaporated milk and a can of sweetened condensed milk.



 Then I poured the milk on top of the cake and refrigerated for about 5 hours.  This is one of those cakes that the longer it sits the more moist and better it is so you could even make it the night before and refrigerate overnight before serving.


The finished product.  Like I said, it was a good cake it just wasn't as moist as I wanted it to be. I will definitely make it again with maybe just a few modifications.

I added some whip cream and a strawberry.  It tasted like a moist fluffy strawberry shortcake.  Yummy!!

If anyone tries this recipe let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks so yummy! (And surely low in fat and calories, right?) wink wink
    I'm afraid to make one. I would probably eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....low in calories not so much....I just don't think about it when I eat it. lol!

    ReplyDelete