Sunday, May 9, 2010

Garden Ladys

My little garden had some uninvited guests arrive this past week.  They are bad news for my plants.  I tried to get some pictures but they were way too tiny.  They are aphids.  The aphids took up their main residence on my mint plants which did not make me happy AT ALL! I was nervous to treat my herbs with pesticides because we eat the herbs.  I found some organic spray that were supposed to kill the aphids, but after two applications they were still alive and well.  So today, Hubby took me to the nursery that we like and we brought home some reinforcements.

Yes, that's right it says 2,000 lady bugs, and yes it is really spelled "ladys" (I know you thought I misspelled it in the title...its ok I think it is weird too.)

Sprinkling them on the plants.

So many!

Just what do 2,000 lady bugs look like?  I am glad you asked!

The adventure seekers.  Off to see what the great, wide world has to offer on the other side of the patio.


This is the popular plant.  It is where all of the "cool" bugs hang out and socialize.  A little further up the plant a few of the hard workers have found the feast of tasty aphids, but the others.....well...

They had other things on their mind. How embarrassing!

Now don't let those party bugs give them all a bad name, some of them went right to work and worked really hard, only stopping on occasion to get a little drink from the water drops on the leaves or to wash their face.  There was a lot of face washing going on.

More hard working little ladys.

And yes, I spent a good 45 minutes outside watching the bugs fly away, eat aphids, drink water, wash their faces, get acquainted with their new surroundings and well the other stuff.... all I can say is maybe soon we will have some baby ladys too.

If the little ladys keep up the good work in a couple of days I hope my garden will once again be pest free, and in the mean time I need to shower or something, all these bugs have made me itchy!

1 comment:

  1. Funny funny. I hope they stick around long enough to keep your plants bug free for the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete