Sunday, September 23, 2012

Generic Brands

WARNING! Pointless post to follow.

I am one of those people that really doesn't take the time to coupon.  If I find a coupon for something that I always get, usually baby stuff, I will keep it, or if it is a percentage off of a total, I might hold on to those too.  The problem I have with coupons is that I always forget them and they end up expiring before I ever get to use them.  My money saving strategy is usually to just buy generic for a big majority of my items.  Most of the time we can't tell the difference.  There are a few things, however, that I have found that generic is just not always equal.

  1.  Ranch.  We love us some Ranch Dressing and I I don't care which generic I get, nothing compares to Hidden Valley.
  2. Contact Solution.  This literally pains me to buy.  It is like $8-$10 a bottle. Hate it.  The Wal-Mart brand is about $3-$4.  Quite a difference!  This past month I decided to save myself the money and try the generic.  Big mistake.   I have dry eyes, so by the end of the day my eyeballs feel like they are filled with sand on a good day.  With the generic, I felt like this all day long.  I guess I am going to have to stick with my expensive stuff.  
  3. Rocky Road Ice Cream.  Now nothing beats Blue Bell Ice Cream.  I know this, but when You have a craving and you try to save money you give it a shot.  My favorite part of Rocky Road is The frozen marshmallows.  Wal-Mart version has a "marshmallow swirl." Not the same. At all. The generic did have chocolate covered almonds inside which could have redeemed it a little.  Unfortunately there were only about 10 in the whole half gallon.  Bummer.  Guess I should stick with Blue Bell, at least when it comes to rocky road.   
Just to be fair and give credit where credit is due, The Walgreens version of Zyrtec, Wal-Zyr, is the best allergy medicine I have found.  I have terrible seasonal allergies and as long as I take it on a daily basis, I have very few symptoms.

So, that is just my 2 cents on generic, and these are only my opinions and no one is paying me to say anything good or bad about any brand.   I don't know who actually cares what my opinion is on this subject I just felt the need to share.  End of pointless post.  You are welcome! :)  

3 comments: