Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day and Chicken Enchilada Soup



Happy Father's Day to my hubby!  He is the best daddy to our Chloe!  He works so hard during the day and comes home and hangs out with us and plays with his little girl.  They love going on walks together, he takes her swimming and he gives her a bottle and rocks and cuddles her to sleep at night.  He is so patient with her.  Chloe adores him!  Her little face lights up with joy anytime she sees him.  We think he is a pretty special person.

Clint asked for Chicken Enchilada Soup for Father's Day so I thought I would share the recipe.  It has become on of our favorites.

6 corn tortillas
1 sm. onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
2 tsp. oil
1 (14 oz.) can chopped green chiles (undrained)
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can beef broth (undiluted)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth (undiluted)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)
1 (6 3/4 oz.) can chunk style chicken
1 1/2 c. water
1 tsp. steak sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 c. (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
Paprika

Cut 6 tortillas into 1/2 inch strips (set aside). Saute onion and garlic in oil in a Dutch oven. Add all ingredients except cheese and paprika. Cover, heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add tortillas and cheese. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with tortilla chips. Makes 8 cups.
 
I found this recipe on cooks.com.  I usually make a few minor modifications to suit our tastes.  I usually double the amount of tortillas, and I usually use a big can of chicken because I just think it needs more meat.  I have also started just adding the cheese to our individual bowls of soup.  I found if I add it to the whole pot, when I reheat the cheese tends to stick to the bottom of the pan.   

We also want to wish a Happy Father's Day to our dads, Chloe's grandpa's.  They helped shape us into the people we are today.  Happy Father's Day to Steve (Poppa) and Ricky (PawPaw)!!  We love you!

2 comments:

  1. How fun!!! Great dads for sure!!! And...you're making mr hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I'm just now getting around to reading this, but the soup sounds yummy! I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete